Sunday, April 10, 2011

Family Life and Faith

More important than being a seminary student and a minister of the gospel is being the spiritual leader of my home. If I have all the knowledge I can have and still not be the man God called me to be, my knowledge is worthless. This includes how I lead my family toward Christ by being the provider and guider of spiritual truth. My wife and I have been investing in our daughter with love in spiritual truth. We have been specifically using 2 items in teaching our daughter the Bible and core spiritual truths. The first one is the Jesus Storybook Bible. This Bible has several pictures to keep her attention and tells the stories of the Bible in a way that captivates her. She makes sure her mom or I read her a story from her copy of God's Word before bedtime. It is a blessing to know that our 3 year old enjoys her time hearing how God worked in days past.
The other resource is called the Truth and Grace Memory set. This is a set of books that teach biblical truth through the Heidelberg Confession, which is like an earlier version of a Baptist confession. This set is put out by Tom Ascol of Founders Press and the 3 book set costs $20. The first book aims at first verses of songs like Doxology and Jesus Loves Me and questions about creation and why God made people and other things.
Teaching our daughter is vitally important for my wife Rachel and I as we long to see her grow strong in the Lord and to keep His commands.
My charge to the men who read this blog is simple...train your children to fear and hear God. Do what Moses charged the Israelites in Deuteronomy 6 in the Shema.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment