Monday, March 7, 2011

Disciple Now 2011-Part 1

This has been the best DNOW weekend I have been a part of in the ones I have worked. The theme for this weekend was "Unified" and our theme verse was 1 Peter 3:8: "To sum up, let all be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit." Because of our identity in Jesus, we can put aside the things that often divide us and be unified in Christ and what He has done for us and in us. Ben Rutherford and I led a group of 7th grade guys at the home of Bobby and Tammy Knighton. I am forever grateful for them opening up their home to us and their hearts as well. God has taught me so much this weekend so this will be the first part of several blogs highlighting the weekend. The first small group study came from 1 Peter 2:9-10. I shared with my group about how God has chosen those who follow Him for the purpose of His glory. Because we have been chosen, we are a community of priests who are called to be holy as God is holy. Because we are chosen, we are called to proclaim the excellencies of Him who called us from darkness into marvelous light. We are in Christ and ought to be for Christ. For me, being a young pup in the ministry, this means that my identity is not in others' ministries or my preferences but in Christ alone. When I am feeling bad about myself, this is a reminder that my identity is not in circumstances but in Christ, my Rock and my Redeemer. In the next blog will be highlighting the messages preached by our DNOW preacher, Andrew Arthur.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment